Hello Sacred Heart families!
I am so excited to begin sharing healthy recipes again!
Since it is looking like a chilly weekend ahead, I thought this stew seemed like a perfect fall option!
Please email me any healthy, seasonal and fairly simple recipes that you would like to be featured.
SWEET POTATO STEW
- 3 cups (~2 potatoes) medium-sized sweet potatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 small yellow onion
- 8 ounce bag mini carrots
- 1 can (15 ounces) corn I use fire-roasted (or use frozen sweet corn or cut it off the cob!)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes I use fire-roasted
- 1 pound beef chuck roast cut into cut into 1/2-inch chunks (can use pre-cut stew meat for super quick prep)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon each seasoned salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup water
- Optional: fresh flat leaf parsley
- Coat the inside of a slow cooker with non-stick spray. I use a 6-quart pot.
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into large chunks. Measure to get a heaping 3 cups and place in the prepared slow cooker.
- Add in the chopped celery, chopped onion, the bag of carrots, drained can of corn (I buy corn that is fire-roasted and it adds so much flavor! It's right by regular canned corn in the grocery store) and undrained can of diced tomatoes.
- Toss together the flour, seasoned salt, and pepper. Toss the cut meat (cut in 1 inch cubes if not pre-cut) in the flour mixture until well coated.
- Place the coated meat in the slow cooker on top of all the vegetables. You do not need to pre-cook the meat.
- Add in the bay leaf, minced garlic, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, and fresh parsley. (I coarsely chop parsley and pack it in a tablespoon to get that measurement.)
- Crumble in the bouillon cubes and the water.
- Stir everything together and submerge the meat below the veggies to keep it as tender as possible. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours, high for 5-7 hours or until the sweet potatoes and vegetables are tender and the meat is cooked through and tender. All slow cookers cook at different temperatures. Mine takes about 8 hours on low and I don't typically cook stews on high because I find them to be more flavorful (meat more tender) after slow cooking all day! If you are home, occasionally stir the stew throughout the day.
- When ready to serve, remove the bay leaf.
- Stir the ingredients together and slightly mash the tender sweet potatoes in the crockpot. This gives it a chunkier and thicker stew consistency and it's delicious!
- If desired, top with some fresh parsley.
As always, please reach out to me with any questions or concerns you have regarding health and wellness at school.