Happy New Year, Sacred Heart families! I hope everyone had a refreshing and blessed Christmas break.
It can be hard to adjust back into a structured routine after being off for a long and leisurely break. Here is a quick and healthy recipe to hopefully help ease back into the busy weeknights and schedules.
One Pot Rigatoni Bolognese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups beef broth or more as needed
- 1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16-oz) box rigatoni pasta uncooked
- grated parmesan to serve (optional)
- Brown the beef: Heat oil in a medium-large pan. Brown the beef, seasoning with a few pinches of salt and pepper as it cooks.
- Cook the vegetables: Add the finely chopped vegetables to the pot with the beef and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until softened (about 2-3 minutes).
- Season and deglaze: Add garlic powder, Italian seasoning, a pinch of salt, pepper and tomato paste to the pan. Stir until mixed in well. Pour in 3 cups broth, scratching the browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Cook the pasta: Add the diced tomatoes and uncooked pasta to the skillet, making sure to stir everything in until the pasta is covered with liquid. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the pasta is done, about 15 minutes. Add up to one more cup of broth during cooking, as needed. Serve with grated parmesan.
*Heat up a frozen steamer bag of broccoli or peas on the side for a quick way to add more veggies!
Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with related to health and wellness,